27 January 2013

New best friends

MARIE: Two weeks ago I wrote about the difficulties of teaching Jon to handle the duodopa pump himself, leaving me with more maintenance than I had counted on. Four weeks ago I wrote about how his frustrations at the diseases sometimes turn to aggression directed at me. I am very happy to tell you that I now have two new helpers who promise to bring relief to one issue each.

Firstly, the frustration. I know – I’ve read, I’ve been told, I can work out for myself – that someone with cognitive impairment is probably incapable of changing his behaviour. So, to stop Jon becoming frustrated, we have to find his “triggers” and teach me how to avoid them or how to deflect and defuse potentially problematic situations. To that end, I have talk to a very capable and knowledgeable woman whose job title I don’t know how to translate – something like neuro-behavioural-development consultant. What she does is go out and talk to the carers for people with problematic dementias to help us learn to act and react in more appropriate ways. All the relevant people have said this sounds like a good idea in our case, so now I’m just waiting for the paperwork to go through. I’m hoping for a long and fruitful relationship.

Secondly, pump maintenance. A further two weeks in and we’re essentially no further forward with teaching Jon the pump. I don’t have a problem with getting up to fit the pump every morning at 6:30. I don’t mind helping Jon get it on and off when he has a shower – and on those occasional mornings when I have to leave early, it won’t kill him to skip the shower. But I was beginning to feel very constrained by the need to be home every evening no later than 10pm to take the pump off. This was mostly in my head, because I’m actually rarely out till late. We’re talking maybe half a dozen times a year, when I’m invited to something that Jon prefers not to attend but that I want to attend until the very end.

What triggered my frustration was an invitation to the traditional January party of a group of wonderful women I’ve known since university. I had offered to bring the dessert, but now I was realizing that I’d probably have to leave before it was even served in order to set out on the hour-long drive home to my pump duties.

As luck would have it, that same morning we got a visit from the home nurse who comes once a week to inspect Jon’s stomach tube. I mentioned my frustration. She told me a nurse could come to sort out the pump if we liked. I asked how long in advance we’d have to book such a service. She said as early as possible to help with their planning, but “if you’re out and suddenly realize you’ll be late, or if you’re stuck in traffic or something, just ring us and we’ll pop round to sort it out”. Isn’t that just the most amazing service? I was so happy and relieved I wept!

I think we’ll use the night nurse about as often as we use the disabled parking badge, which is to say roughly once in a blue moon. But it makes the most enormous difference to know that the option is there the moment we really do need it. I feel like I have my freedom back, and I think Jon is pretty content not to have to feel guilty about dragging me away from my occasional pleasures in the big city.

No comments: