25 April 2010

Still (kind of) working

JON: Marie wrote last week that we have had a minor domestic argument. We have more or less kissed and made-up, or more accurately we have agreed to disagree for now. So at the moment all is well, and long may that last.

Other good news is that I have been invited to chair a session at a conference on oral processing (yes, that is just as disgusting as it sounds). I will get to see lots of old friendly faces and talk about teeth, chewing, and swallowing into the small hours. This will be the first time I’ve been session chair, but I’m not worried, it mainly involves sitting through a couple of lectures without falling asleep, making sure the speakers keep to time, and handling the Q&A afterwards. I’ll also have to keep a few questions up my sleeve to fill in any embarrassing silences. Naturally, I plan to have a pocket full of assorted pills to cope with unexpected shakes, twitches or other problems.

I’ve also been in touch with some of my old colleagues, or rather I was called in to fix a piece of equipment (that I’d built) which had stopped working. I spent several hours trying to diagnose the problem and finally managed to make a diagnosis: it’s broken. Which was possibly not a lot help, but I was flattered to have been asked for my opinion, and did not feel too bad about the outcome as no-one else could fix it either.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

it's best to get the disagreements over with sooner than later.