03 April 2010

Feeling good

JON: I mentioned a while ago that I had added a “hit counter” to this blog and as you can see from the map below, our fame begins to spread far and wide. Since January we have had 160 unique hits (that is 160 different people) of which about 90% have made return visits – which seems fairly good to me. So thanks for reading the blog, it makes a big difference to know that there is someone out there who likes it enough to spend time on it (repeatedly).

Last week, Marie and I went on separate trips, hers involved working for a living, while mine involved having a good time. And much to my amazement I did. At home I get very, very tired, sometimes as early as 8 pm, and am regularly in bed by 9 pm. On this trip, however, I stayed up past midnight and woke at my normal 7:00 – even better, I woke with no hangover.

I’m not entirely sure what I was doing right. At the first sign of fatigue, I gave myself booster doses of L-dopa (in half tab increments) and added an extra Ritalin tablet per day. In addition to the drugs, I drank beer. Not in excess – less than a pint per hour, but that’s still much more than I’ve had in a long time.

So the question is, what was it that made me feel so good? Just the fact of seeing old friends (and having a very good time)? Increasing the dosage of L-dopa? Increasing the Ritalin? Drinking beer? My guess is that it was a combination of factors. This is clearly an experiment that needs to be repeated under completely uncontrolled conditions, so I am already thinking about my next trip.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

while watching Denmark vs Egypt in handball last night, hubby was dealing with restless legs. Not knowing what to do and wanting to try something different, he poured each of us a double shot of Kahlua. It put him to sleep at half time and gave me peace for having to listen to him shuffle his legs all around the ottoman. 20 - 26 to Denmark and one for me.