05 February 2010

The trike has arrived!

MARIE: Great news: the tricycle which Jon is getting on indefinite loan from the local authority arrived a few days ago, and (I think) because he’s now on Ritalin Jon immediately got on it and rode down to the local sports centre car park to practice, and has been out biking every day since. Not wanting me along, not wanting to wait for the snow to melt, not wanting to have a practice session first with his occupational therapist. I am so happy to see him back in the saddle, as it were.

I had a go too, and discovered that it’s surprisingly different from riding a two-wheeler. On two wheels, you use your bodyweight to balance on uneven ground and in turns, whereas on three stable wheels you can only adjust through steering. Both Jon and I lean madly into turns on the trike, to absolutely no effect – an automatic response that must be consciously unlearnt.

And there are other differences to get used to, such as that walking and pushing the thing next to you as you would a two-wheeler just means the wide-backed three-wheeler skins your ankles, that streets not totally flat (as most aren’t, to encourage rainwater to run off) tilt you and trike so you must actively steer for the middle of the road, and that with three wheels you feel any unevenness in the road surface much more keenly than on two wheels.

It’s a bit like learning to bike all over again, but very importantly: this time without any danger of falling off. Brilliant.

JON: Suddenly, a phone call came from the bike shop: can we deliver your tricycle today? Well, I said OK, though we are thick with snow once more – but it’s a tricycle, right, so there should be no risk of falling off, and so far I have indeed not fallen. What happens instead is that I drive into things. Apparently, the thing has a differential gearing which has the effect of exasperating any turns I might foolishly try to make, while lumps, bumps and pot holes also change my direction.

It was snowing at the weekend so I bought a hat. The initial plan was to get a knitted bobble hat of the sort village idiots wear, but what I ended up with was a rather expensive Australian hat made from waxed cattle hide. It does nothing to keep my ears warm, but it does keep my head dry, and Marie claims it makes me look very stylish and outdoorsy. We also have a proper cycle helmet that Marie used when she was practicing for her triathlon a few years ago. So I now have a choice for my bike rides: wear no hat = look normal + get cold, or wear Aussie hat = look cool + have a dry head, or wear helmet = look a total fool + be safe. All is vanity…

BTW, I fitted an invisible counter to the blog which means that I can now see how many people read this blog, which is really quite interesting and encouraging. The good news for all you blog readers is that you are not alone. In its first month, the counter has reported 39 readers, and you are from all over the place USA, UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, and even Russia. I have a good idea of who some of you are (Hi Alice, says Jon, and Hej Annie, says Marie), but other readers are from places where we have no contacts (yet?). The software also shows that you return, which is very nice to know as I am possibly a bit too old for that many one night stands.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So finally one of your few dutch sentences comes in handy: ik heb een blauwe fiets
(or maybe the bike is green, it is a bit difficult to see in the picture...)
It is good to read that you are getting more active.

Hope to see you soon
Ilse

Anonymous said...

My farther has PD. He doesn't talk much about it. So reading your blog gives me an idea of what living with PD can be like.
Lone

Jon and Marie said...

Hi Ilse and Lone,
This is so excellent, your two comments show that the blog is doing exactly what we hoped it would: it allows us to stay in touch with old friends that we don't see often enough anymore, and it is an opportunity to use Jon's PD for something positive that can perhaps be useful to other people with PD and to their relatives. Thank you!

eddie spaghetti said...

wear the helmet - it might not be as cool as the cowboy hat but soooooo much cooler than bloody bandages.