21 February 2010

Officially 100% useless

JON: Well, now it’s official. I said last week that all that remained of my assessment for disability pension was for some untranslatable expert to ring me to discuss my future. As it happened, I was in the shower when he rang, so instead he spoke to Marie. In fact, he had decided that he didn’t need to speak to me at all as I was such an evidently hopeless case, and that he was closing my case with a recommendation for full disability benefits without any future labour market reintegration efforts. All that now remains is for a third department to calculate the exact amount they will pay me, and then I have a mass of bureaucracy to wade through with a couple of insurance companies who should top up my benefits on the basis of this assessment.

But the decision is made, so essentially that’s it. Marie and I both feel kind of ambivalent about it. It’s a great relief that the long wait is over, and that no public servant miser is going to demand that I supplement a smaller pension by working as a part-time car park attendant or break-dance instructor. On the other hand, it is a mixed blessing to know the experts agree that there is not a single thing I can do that anyone could possibly want to pay for.

My psychologist reckons I shouldn’t feel like a reject but be satisfied that it’s much easier for the experts to award benefits to someone with a recognized disease such as Parkinson’s (expert diagnosis and crystal-clear prognosis) than to more common and more amorphous complaints such as stress or back pain.

Anyway, fuelled by Ritalin and in the spirit of working to discover what I shall enjoy doing for the rest of my life, I have taken up art with a decidedly lower-case a. A very early result is this composition of teabag splats. It may need more work…

And my buy of the week is an electric back massager (from OBH-Nordica) which is wonderful, viciously painful and very effective. It was also fairly expensive, but after a free grab pole and tricycle from the local authority, I reckoned I could afford it – and I’ve always thought I was worth it.

The massager works by slowly moving a set of large steel balls up and down (or round and round) the spine while another set massage the neck. It’s a good imitation of the sort of movement a masseuse would make, but not as gentle and with the added advantage that her fingers don’t get fatigued.

I’ve discovered that one can overdo it, though, so at the moment my back feels battered and bruised, but even that is better than the chronic pain I had before. On the whole I’m pretty pleased with my purchase and recommend it to anyone with back pain and a busy wife.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jon & Marie. Sorry to hear about the outcome of the assessment. Good for you, however, that you don't have to put more energy into it.
How about transferring the pension or the conclusion to another country - is that possible?
love from A

Jon and Marie said...

Hi Annie,
Yes, we've been told that Jon can move to any other EU country and still keep the pension - so watch out!
Love,
Marie

eddie spaghetti said...

that's good news. Isn't Europe wonderful. where I come from you are pretty much on your own. sure there is some kind of help but much harder to qualify for it and there are those countries where you would just either be dead or a couch potato.