11 August 2008

Frustrations

Another week spent all on my own while Marie earns her keep selling books at a conference somewhere. It has its downsides, and its upsides, but apparently it has no side sides.

So how did I cope? Well, we actually both rather enjoy it when the other goes away for a few days and we get to indulge our various foibles and anti-social tendencies in peace. Thus, with my quiet-loving wife away, I got to keep the radio on at all times, and loud. Likewise, the entire place was one glorious mess with that seriously lived-in feeling I (and the fruit flies) like so much, until about one hectic half-hour before Mrs Neatfreak was about to turn up again. This time, I also got to nap when and where and as often as I wanted.

But perhaps most significantly I went into work on Monday morning on the first day back after my four-week holiday at home. I might as well have stayed home for all the use I was in my insomnia-addled state. As it turns out, I must have looked exactly like I felt, because taking one look at me my boss suggested (and I agreed) that I’d be better off going straight home again on sick leave. OK, I have been unable to function properly for several weeks now, but that was on my own time. But now it’s official, and although this is neither the best job nor the best employers I have ever had, the very real possibility that I may never be able to work again looms rather large. Being officially sick somehow feels much worse than just being sick – it’s got that whiff of the scrap heap about it.

As it is, I am in such a state that I can’t even pretend to ‘keep my hand in' by reading the latest papers, staying in touch with close colleagues, putting in the odd appearance. I had quite a few plans for what I wanted to do last week without Marie here to distract me with fripperies like mealtimes and fresh air. I had great plans to make progress on this book I am supposed to be writing with two good former colleagues, aiming to finish one chapter at the minimum. I was also going to look into a bit of Java script for a website I am building. And I had a good book waiting for me, and I was going to call my kids, etc etc etc. As it turned out, I failed on all counts and got very close to zero – zilch – nada done on any of these plans. Did I feel bad about this? You bet I did. Sure, I am still sleeping badly (see earlier posts), but I didn’t feel so sick that I could expect to achieve nothing at all. A big disappointment, and perhaps the beginning of some kind of learning curve involving the adjustment of expectations so that I can set myself an achievable goal and get to feel good about accomplishing something, rather than asking too much of myself and failing miserably and depressingly.

From everything I've read so far, I'm supposed to be in a kind of honeymoon period with drugs working at peak efficiency and all things running smoothly. When I got the diagnosis of Parkinson’s, I thought ‘okay, I'll take my pills and that will be that for years and years. I'll drive – work – run marathons – be normal.’ Instead, I'm a complete wreck. Where am I going wrong? On general health, I’m better than ever: I’ve quit smoking, hardly drink at all, take gentle exercise almost daily, but that appears to make little or no difference.

My huge worry is that I have been misdiagnosed and that I have in fact got one of the ‘Parkinson’s Plus’ conditions (a fear not helped by me recently reading Life in the Balance by Thomas Graboys, an admirably honest autobiography about Parkinson’s with Lewy body disease which causes dementia). Honestly, I’m crawling up the walls with anxiety. On the other hand, it is also entirely possible that all my present troubles stem from not sleeping – but I’m still stuck up here near the ceiling waiting for a prescription for new sleeping drugs. No matter what, PD is a progressive disease, so I can predict with some considerable degree of confidence that next year will be worse than this year. Ho hum. I wonder what other little jokes the universe has in store for me ….

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

I often wonder too if hubby has something other than PD. He goes in every now and then for checks and says to the doctor I have this, that and the other and the doctor always says - that's not Parkinson's. Damn frustrating.