25 August 2008

Disappointment

I said last week that I had at last been given a magically wonderful drug that had the power to get me to sleep and keep me asleep for more than the usual hour or two at a stretch. Well, that didn’t last, and I’m now if not quite as bad as I ever was, then not a whole lot better off either. The height of your hopes is of course directly related to the depths of your disappointment, so you can imagine how I feel about that.

My body is falling apart around me. It is beginning to give me symptoms that really do not, repeat not, belong this early on in the disease. I’ve got the shakes really bad on my right side, feet stubbornly sticking to the floor, I’m hoarse and dry mouthed, my short-term memory is pitiful and I get confused over the simplest things, I have absolutely no energy whatsoever but can’t sit or lie still for long enough to get the sleep I so desperately need. Some of this might be side effects of drugs, some might be plain ageing, and some might be PD symptoms that are or aren't treatable – I just really, really wish someone would work it out and help get me on a more even keel. Right now would not be a moment too soon.

Also somewhat storm-tossed this week is my relationship with my wife. Before PD I was an uncommunicative soul. ‘G’morning’ and ‘g’night’ might be all I said to her or anyone else all day, and perhaps ‘what’s for pudding?’ on weekends. Much of the time I lived inside my own obsessive world of work and science, failing to hear phones and door bells ringing, and indeed failing to hear much of what Marie might choose to say. This state of bliss was apparently preferable to the situation now, where I follow her around like a wet dog, demonstrating my affection at every opportunity and expecting confirmation in return. Her worst nightmare: a demonstrative husband. Okay, I can see that if she chose to marry me as I was before, then she too must have been busy with her own life and this new me is perhaps not what she wanted. But honestly: females, eh? There’s no pleasing them (and apparently no shooting them either).

It all relates, though, to a question Marie asked me the other day: how do I want to spend the rest of my life? What gives me pleasure, what gives meaning and content to my life, what is realistically achievable now with PD? This is not a simple question. I always used to think I’d keep working until they barred the doors to the lab, so I am not taking that easily to the idea of early (semi?)-retirement.

Answers range from ‘If it stays like this I'm jumping of a cliff ASAP’ (though perhaps a slightly empty threat seeing that we live in The aptly-named Netherlands), via ‘Doing some good somewhere’ (as if, Miss Idaho!), to ‘Having a good time’ (but what is ‘a good time’, and can pretending life is one long weekend really have meaning?). Seriously, there are things I want to do, but I am still unsure whether mind and body will hold up to doing them. I want to write Books of Learned Science, I want to write books of lighter learning to show that science is fun and relevant to daily life. I could also see myself taking up angling – first collecting the gear and getting anoraky about flies, then the Zen of sitting quietly and waiting for something to bite. I’m quite keen on nature photography (no, the other kind of nature photography), and #2 wants me to build chicken runs and rabbit hutches for all the livestock she plans to keep and eat when we move to a larger garden.

But meanwhile, what really gets done around here? Well, I dutifully go for my walk every day, but I often “forget” to do my voice exercises and my stretches. I just about manage to stay on level terms with my e-mail intray, but there have been two articles following me around like a bad smell for weeks now, one that I am supposed to proof-read and one where I am supposed to respond to editorial critique. Well, at least I manage to get this blog done.

Which leads to my last point today. The comment has been made: if you can write this blog, things can’t be quite as bad as you say, can they? Well now, I never thought real men bothered with spelling and punctuation – that was for nit-picking, train-spotting stamp collectors (and Lynne Truss). Getting the message across was what mattered, function over form for me every time. But now my typing is so abysmal that Marie has to fix it if anyone is understand a word I write, and by mutual agreement that means she also adds in various bits of fact and background, and allows her own perspective to shine through here and there. For instance, my input for part of the above read:

I'ev become her own worst nightmare – a husand who cares, and os demostrativ e with his before the PD I was an ncomunacitive soul, g'm mornong and perhahs were the only things I'd SAYY AALL DAY, But is turns out this is preferablt to being ffolowed round like a lapdog,, ho hum females eh there is no pleasing trhem … '

You can see the kind of issues of impartiality this can also throw up… That’s a big part of the point of this blog, though, to provide a weekly opportunity for me and her to talk about what has happened, what we think about it, and why the other is wrong. Well, it works for us.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

oh I see - I was wondering too, how could it be so bad when the writing is so enjoyable from this end. Kind of ironic too in this line (you both wrote) "But now my typing is so abysmal that Marie has to fix it if anyone is understand a word I write,...." the word 'to' is missing between is and understand. Does that make me one of the nit-picking train spotters? sorry.