20 December 2013

Evenings from Hell


MARIE:  Almost two years ago, I gave up ‘proper’ work and was instead employed by our local authority as Jon’s carer. Back then, they assessed his needs at something like 11 ½ hours per week. There have been a few reassessments since, first to about 20 hours, then to 31 ½. Such a change in less than two years speaks unpleasant volumes about Jon’s decline and the strains his diseases now put on our daily lives.
 
The result is that I’m developing carer stress, and it’s making me less able to care in a good way. Stress (from caring or any other kind of work) makes you irritable, tired, unfocused, irritable, clumsy, forgetful, irritable … you get the picture. Recently, I was at an excellent talk by a woman who has worked with dementia sufferers for many years. One of the issues raised was how you can know when it’s time to take a step back from caring and leave it to the professionals. “When the carer is so burned out that he or she can no longer care with kindness” was one part of the answer. That’s so uncannily, precisely what I fear may be happening with us.
 
So I am taking a step back by leaving the nighttime tasks involving drugs and pump etc. to our local nurses. It happens too often for comfort that at the end of a long day of putting Jon’s needs before my own, I just haven’t the energy, physically or mentally, to deal with the madness that has become a regular feature of our evenings. What happens – not every night, but most nights – is that Jon gets one or two ideas in his head that he just can’t shake loose.
 
One is that he needs the toilet. Nothing happens when he goes, but the moment he’s back on the sofa or in bed, he feels the urge to go again. Since he moves very unsteadily at night and has epic battles to do up his trousers, this does not make for relaxing nights in. The other idea is that he wants his duodopa pump off, and he will keep nagging with increasing urgency and insistence, until he drives me to distraction or forces me from the room. The duodopa should be stopped as late as possible so that the effect of the slow release tablets he takes instead can last him until morning. At great cost to us both, we negotiated a truce to the effect that I stop the duodopa at 10:15 pm, but in the grips of his fixed idea Jon forgets the deal and forgets the logic, and I can’t reach him with reason. And seeing that I’m already irritable…
 
I’m sure there are better ways of dealing with this, but it’s clear that I can’t find them or carry them through at the end of a demanding day. So nurses to the rescue. Starting last week, Jon gets professionally nursed at bedtime, with an extra visit around 3 am for another tablet and a general check on his condition.
 
I hope that will be enough to bring us to calmer waters, at least for a time. As I write this, we are on a four-day trip away, which should have been a relaxing anniversary celebration in a wonderful German spa hotel, but is turning into yet another nightmare for entirely predictable reasons. We’ll have to accept that we simply can’t get by without nursing help anymore, and that means we can’t go away together anymore. One more loss.
 
I hope you won’t judge me harshly when I say that I want my life back. It's too much to cope with now. I’m very much afraid that this marks the beginning of the end of my time as a home carer.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

omg - evenings from Hell started before I said "I do" at the townhall wedding chapel. The guy snors like a pig. No, more like a sti filled with pigs. Then the screaming dreams induced by the drugs. Now the restless legs wont let either of us sleep. In Spain just this last september he was up at least once every hour visiting the toilet - every hour!