06 September 2010

Making the best of things

MARIE: I recently read a book (not in English) that purported to give advice and support for the chronically ill and those who care for them. I really tried to like this book despite its poor organization, but it fell down in the usual place: no, it does not give support to carers, it just instructs us on how to support those we care for. It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to me, really, but it was still disappointing.

However, I did take one gem away from this book which made the hours spent reading it well worthwhile. It is the expression amor fati, which loosely translates as “love of fate” or “love your fate”. Wikipedia tells me this motto was coined by Nietsche who I suspect may have meant something like “just accept that life is cruel and ugly and that you can’t do a thing to change it”. But I have decided to understand it more as “embrace your circumstances rather than fighting them”.

It’s so easy to feel sorry for yourself and bitter at the restrictions PD brings to both the person with Parkinson’s and the carer, and I admit we both do that now and again – Jon perhaps more than me because not only is his glass always half empty, it also has a dead fly in it. Neither of us has ever asked “why me?” which seems to be a question that occupies people with some level of faith, but we have been upset that, not to put too fine a shine on it, shit happens and it happened to us (in the picture it happens very neatly indeed).

On the other hand, while the disease has unquestionably slammed shut a number of doors, it has also opened others that we had never even considered. For Jon, for instance, taking early retirement has made him a far more sociable person who stays in touch with old friends and colleagues on Facebook, visits his grandchildren with keen regularity and generally enjoys talking to people about things other than his work – a major change and improvement, I can tell you!

For myself, the disease has led me to start writing about PD – this blog, regular articles, and working on a few book manuscripts – which I greatly enjoy. And it seems there is a decent chance it will lead me away from my current job in an ailing industry (academic publishing) to new and more meaningful work on the carer project that I talked about a few posts back. At least, reactions have been positive all round from carers, health professionals and patient associations I have discussed my ideas with. Will I also be able to secure the funds to make the project possible? I don’t know, but I’m feeling really hopeful. Amor fati in action!

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

it's a job to accept the circumstances much less to embrace them.
no open doors here yet and we are going on over 20 years with this shit.
or should I have said, lovely shit?