21 August 2010

Dysphagia

JON: I’m having a bit of a down-day today, and it doesn’t help that I’ve the time I’ve spent on the internet has been very fruitful. The thing is, sometimes ignorance is bliss and knowledge turns out to be quite uncomfortable (I should know, I’ve got 3 degrees). But I assume that if you are reading this blog, then you are not going to be fazed by a bit of new information.

I’ve been trawling the web for information on dysphagia, which means difficulty in swallowing, and found an excellent posting in the Parkinson’s UK Forum by Cutiepie. (considering the odd names people choose as user names on the forum, Cutiepie is almost sensible). Spurred on by a question from someone who is having problems clearing her throat, Cutiepie has posted a long and thorough text explaining the problem and its manifestation launches – a true magnum opus (I’m not being condescending or patronising – it’s really good). So try the link to Cutiepie, because we all need to be aware of the dangers of dysphagia.

It used to be said of smokers that “it’s not the cough that carries you off, it’s the coffin they carry you off in”. Well, the same is probably true of PD which is generally hailed as a disease you die with rather than die from. Not altogether true as poor balance can lead to perilous falls. But even more commonly (I think) it’s the coughing and choking on food that will get us, either quickly where we turn blue and urgent, or slowly with an lung infection due to aspiration pneumonia (breathing food into the lung where it causes an infection).

So make sure that people you know are familiar with how to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre. Dysphagia is not restricted to PWPs, of course, it also plagues stroke victims and it happen to normal people too. Careful, even mindful, eating is called for – but realize that biting your tongue, lips and cheek is almost normal as we Parkinsonians loose control of the muscles of the head and neck.
These guys, however, appear to have had no trouble swallowing their food...

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

yes, I have read that somewhere recently that you don't die from Parkinson you die with it - what the hell is that supposed to mean? where is the comfort in that or where is there any logic to make a difference? AND too I read that most PD patients die from choking food the wrong direction going down. My husband hacks and coughs now every time we sit down to dinner. Oh he didn't die from my horrible cooking - he died with my horrible cooking. and yes, I'm pissed.