26 July 2010

Measurements

JON: You’d think I’d be getting bored, stuck here in flatland with what appears to be very little to do, taking my very short walks and (when he lets me) stroking the cat.. But I seem to keep busy. A major activity is taking pills, I’m forever checking the clock and waiting for the next set of tablets to become due. In between bouts of drug taking, though, I’ve been developing ways of measuring my tremor, twitches, general Parkiness, and abnormal nocturnal activities.

I’ve been told that I have a tendency to go on a bit, so I’ll restrict myself to describing my latest big-boy toy. Some might call it a watch, but I call it a development and measurement system. The device has a 3-axis accelerometer, a pedometer, a voltage sensor, and it measures temperature, heart-rate, air pressure – oh, and tells the time. Best of all, it communicates via wi-fi with a laptop and is fully programmable.

Have I worked out how it functions? No. Have I even managed to set the time? No (but my son-in-law set it in moments – I’m starting to hate young people). Also supplied is a shed-load of software. My aim is to program the watch so I can use it to monitor my activities during that day and my behaviour (particularly during REM sleep) at night.

While I was working I would probably not have attempted anything as ambitious as this, although I might have employed someone to set it up for me Now time stretches out into the distant horizon, and spending a great deal of it playing with my toys kind of gives me a sense of purpose because it
a) might just work
b) maintains my sense of identity (I’m a scientist, damn it!)

LATER: I wrote the text above yesterday afternoon when I was ON. You can tell because it’s upbeat, the spelling is mostly correct and there was no shortage of ideas or logic. After dinner I started to feel bad and shortly after 9pm I gave in and went to bed. This morning I woke up still feeling bad, and only now at midday do I again feel anything close to normal. My back hurts, my joints hurt, even my hair hurts, and I find myself holding on to my head because it feels loose (I know that sounds odd, but it’s the closest I can get to a description).

Last week at the conference was great, though this week I seem to be paying rather heavily for it. But I’m big and strong and it was worth it. One theory that has been floating round the on-line PD community is that heat (and its been hot as Hades here) could make PD symptoms worse. I don’t know why, but it fits with the kind of week I’ve had. Even when I’ve been ON, I’ve been slow and clumsy, and when I’ve been OFF, well, it’s not been good. I’ve had bad weeks before and I’ll have them again, I’m just hoping that the weather cools down soon so I can get me some proper ON time again. The forecast is promising, as is the prospect of moving north soon.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

just a simple android phone is a challenge for my husband. I bought so that we can keep in touch while I am at work and so that it would ring every 3 hours for his medication.