08 November 2009

De-cluttering mind and home

As Iaid in a previous blog I’m finding it harder and harder to think of things to write about on this blog. Not only on the blog, in fact, but also in the book Oh yes, The Book (on food science) that I am supposed to be writing with two old colleagues is turning into something of a chore. My shrink told me that I should not be surprised, that I should expect to find things like deep concentration and multi-tasking difficult. Although at the moment I can still chew gum and walk at the same time, there may well come a time …

My contribution to the book is supposed to be three chapters. I’ve more or less written one, though it’s not very exciting but does at least have a beginning, a middle and an end, and some parts which are of interest. But I wrote this more than six months ago, when I think my thinking was better. Since then, I’ve put a fair amount of time into working on the other two chapters. They now contain lots of words, but all very disjointed, and the more I try to fix the text the worse it seems to get. This, I’m told, is a symptom of my Parkinsonian inability to mentally multi-task and hold more than one idea in my working memory.

I’m hoping that recognizing the problem may be part of the way to fixing it. The shrink suggests that I should attack the writing in small chunks and at times when I’m the very most functional. This is clearly a good idea – in fact, it is painfully obvious, so why (the hell) have I not been able to work it out for myself? I still only recognize the wisdom when I’m ‘on’. When I’m ‘off’, I can sit at the keyboard for hours without achieving anything, and without recognizing that I am ‘off’ because … I’m ‘off’.

I’ve been trying to get into a routine of writing again, but this time I’m going to try generating small chunks of text by writing a paragraph or two on a well-defined subtopic and then passing the bits on to my co-authors who I hope will be able to slot the text into an appropriate position and provide any linking text that may be needed. Who knows, it might just work. And we have eight more months to do the job which might just be long enough to generate a manuscript.

Oh, and did I mention that we have put the house up for sale? There has been a mad rush of potential buyers coming to look round the house – TWO of them in three weeks. Marie has decided the house looked to cluttered, so she has rented a 5 cubic meter self-storage container into which many belongings are now disappearing. For example, we had some storage boxes under the bed – yup, they’ve now gone into storage. Who looks under the bed when viewing a house? I’ve decided to be politic and not mention it.

I fear that for the foreseeable future we will be living in a state of splendid isolation and increasing obsessive-compulsive behaviours. No-one other than potential buyers will be allowed into the house, all crumbs and spillages will be cleaned up on sight, pillows fluffed the moment one has got up off the couch – in other words, a living death. At least I have put my foot firmly down on the issue of my study, which remains a haven for all the messes exiled from other parts of the house. I suppose it’s nice to have something other than my Parkinson’s to complain about for a change …

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

my husband wants to write a book. it's what he's said a 1000 times. Yet there is not even a note nor a scribble to get started. Now he says he needs a table and a computer to write on - we already have 2 tables and 2 computers. Do I get a 3rd one so he can want a 4th?