04 July 2009

The centre of attention

JON: So, I guess you will want a report of my day of pampering at the Parkinson Centre, right?

Well, after some chatting, the occupational therapist asked me to do two things: boil an egg and peel an apple. I started with the apple, which turned out to be very, very difficult for me. Half way through, she pointed out that I’d forgotten to start the egg. That's when it all got a bit confused. They had an electric hob and I’m a gas-man, so now I was trying to do several things at once – work out the cooker, watch the egg, find an egg cup, finish peeling the apple, and find a plate to serve the apple quarters. Marie seemed to feel that this was a productive exercise – defining my boundaries, etc. I found it depressing, not having realized how far I’ve sunk into the mire. It was a bit like having my nose rubbed in my disabilities.

The psychiatrist thinks that although I’m not depressed now (or yet), I should make a pre-emptive strike by considering some happy pills before I do get depressive, and also possibly engage with a psycho-coach to help in ‘the process of coming to terms’. I am open to the first idea, and not completely closed to the second.

The social worker was very helpful and directed us to the right place to sort out our pension / social security issues (Marie talks more about that below).

The dietician, rather predictably, told us to eat less and exercise more, and we agreed. We also chatted about the protein problem. The problem is this: L-dopa is a form of amino acid, so it competes for absorption with any other amino acid present in the gut. Proteins from food are broken down in the stomach into amino acids. Thus, eating lots of proteins can hinder the absorption of L-dopa. Normally the advice is just to avoid protein-rich foods around the time that you take your L-dopa medication, but it could also be that a general low-protein diet would make me feel better. It works for some, but not for all. We agreed to try it for 2 weeks (at a suitable time) to see if it makes a difference for me. I guess even placebo can be a good thing in the right circumstances, it’s just that being an ex-dentist I have a professional problem with gift-horses…

On the whole it was a very productive day. The downside is that it forced me into confronting my current problems and, worse, those that are yet to come. My policy of denial was working OK for me before, but now I have to think about these things. Plan A was to be shot at the age of 90 by a jealous husband, plan B now seems to involve electric wheelchairs, bed-baths (lots of lather, please nurse) and buckets of liquidized food. Ho hum.

MARIE: Is that a light at the end of the tunnel, or just an on-coming train? It seems we may, at long last, be able to make some progress on Jon’s status regarding work and pension, and thus begin to tame the many uncertainties that have been stressing us out - few things, in my fortunately limited experience, being worse than uncertainty and the sense of powerlessness it brings. Well, actually, everyone knows that there's nothing worse than a paper cut, but uncertainty comes second.

At the utterly marvelous and intensely exhausting day we had at the Parkinson Centre this week, Jon was seen and assessed and advised by many experts all of whom agreed that there was more they could do to help him but that it was highly unlikely this would render him a viable prospect on the job market, and that the focus should therefore be on helping him adjust to and cope with a life of leisure (which sounds a lot better than it is when it comes from being incurably ill at the age of 56).

It has been almost a year since Jon went on sick leave, which is cause for an evaluation of the prospects for his return to work and of the effect of efforts made towards ‘rehabilitating’ him back into the labour force. Which both appear to be essentially nil, in the eyes of his works doctor and supervisor. This in turn raises the question whether Jon should apply to be assessed for disability pension now, or remain in limbo for another year before the assessment is forced on him. I had a long and helpful chat with the government body that awards these pensions, and was told that it was exceedingly rare for them to overturn the opinion of a works doctor.

That means we now have a clear path: first see the works doctor (appointment in two weeks’ time) and get his opinion, then see supervisor and personnel department to confirm details of salary, pension and insurance (hopefully on the same day). Next, see Jon’s normal neurologist (next month) to get her opinion. Then, if (as we now firmly expect) everyone agrees that there is no hope of Jon retuning to work, apply for disability pension, wait up to 10 weeks for the response, and draw a sigh of relief at one less uncertainty to keep us awake at night.

JON: On re-reading the text below, I realize that only an obsessive-compulsive pharmacist could possibly be interested, so unless you are indeed an obsessive-compulsive pharmacist or possibly a PWP, skip the rest of this post. (People With Parkinson’s who can’t skip, can just crawl to the helpful button marked X.)

The neurologist who adjusted my medication last week was very careful to stress that when adjusting treatment (drug, dosage, timing, frequency, etc.) it is VERY important to change only one thing at a time – and then went on to suggest that I make two changes: switch from Sinemet to Madopar dispers (a rapid-uptake form of L-dopa) and start to take a daily Azilect (rasagiline, a MAO-B inhibitor) which supposedly prevents breakdown of dopamine in the brain and thus leaves me with a higher level which is a Good Thing.

So, as Dr Phil might say: ‘how’s that workin’ for ya?’ And the answer would have to be CRAP. Back in the good old days (i.e. last Thursday) on Sinemet, I took 3 doses a day at 5-hour intervals. It sort of worked, but not well. Basically, the pills took upwards of 2 hours to take effect, I then felt good for an hour or so, then downhill until the next dose. We did a straight swap to the same dosage and frequency of Madopar. It takes effect quicker (1 hour or less), but also seems to wear off quicker, and the good bit isn’t as good. I’ve been very strict and not allowed myself any ‘tweenies’ which I have to admit I did back in the old days. I’ll give it a little longer but am not feeling hopeful.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jon and Marie,
I just want to point your attention to a book that is called "Loving What is" by Byron Katie and Stephen Mitchell. It can be a good contribution to coming to terms with things. Love from Annie, Copenhagen

eddie spaghetti said...

Is that a light at the end of the tunnel, or just an on-coming train? Wow, that is one of the most powerful, revealing lines I have ever read/heard. My husband ended up going from full time to part time with a newish law for seriously ill people that allowed him to collet full pay at part time. But that ended up being too much as well and he retired a few years early with full pension. But there wasn't any luxury hand holding from the doctors like Jon has received.