15 March 2009

Review

So how have I been doing lately, I hear you ask – don’t I?

Well, I still have problems getting off to sleep, and getting up in the mornings, so I’m not really myself until around 11:00 am. Or that’s my story. Marie’s is that if there is something I want to do or have to do, I’m up and functional within three quarters of an hour of taking my morning pills. I guess the discussion really is about what ‘functional’ means, but let’s leave that thorny little issue for another day.

My back ache is still there in the background (ha ha) which also affects my quality of sleep. I take a pain killer and have a lie down in the afternoon which helps some. I’m trying to get to a stage where I can stay awake and involved past 9:00 pm – it’s just so anti-social, but come 9 pm all I want is to climb into bed (I was going to say curl up in bed, but PD doesn’t allow curling).

There’s possible movement on the symptom front: Am I becoming more impulsive? Or merely more repulsive?

Well, we took the trip to Egypt at very short notice and I bought a new and rather expensive camera in duty-free, but the holiday had been talked about for months, and I’d been reading reviews of the camera for a long time, only waiting until I could see it in the flesh – which I did and promptly fell in love. And I have no regrets it a wonderful toy, and if I’m honest it’s also a bit of male jewelry, as in my lens is bigger than your lens.

About getting more repulsive...well, I used to the new camera to take macro pictures of my ear, which clearly show the parkinsonian ear wax (cerumen) that I produce by the kilo. Yeeech... I can’t say it has much of an impact on my quality of life, though sometimes I can hear the stuff rolling about inside my ear which is pretty horrid, and now I kind of wish I hadn’t taken the photos but could live on in happy ignorance of its appearance. It’s really very different from my pre-parkinsoniann ear wax. How do I know? Because I devoted several pages of my thesis to the fracture mechanics of (my) ear wax. Trust me, I’m a doctor.

Further on repulsiveness: I computed my BMI at 29.8 – just a few peanuts shy of obesity. My trousers are getting tighter, in a high-pitched-voice sort of way, or it could be a hernia developing. Anyway, Marie has decided it’s time for both of us to Make an Effort so the past week has been characterized by too much vegetarian food and too little pudding. I hate it when she’s right.

Lastly, the work–life balance. My book writing progresses slowly, and I’ve taken on the task of assisting in supervising an American PhD student who will visit our lab to do some work with the large intestine simulator (it’s a long story, and if you thought the ear wax was gross, well, this involves buckets of fermented poo). It’s an international collaboration: the student comes from the USA, the food samples are being prepared in Hong Kong, and we will use thin Dutch people’s poo and fat English people’s poo. Fascinating stuff, and it’s good to be involved. I’m also reading more, though nowhere near as much as I used to – the tiredness gets in the way, and even more so the back that makes it uncomfortable to sit in the same position for long, as one does when engrossed in a good book. Ho hum, you gets what you’re given.

Final interesting tidbit is news from my sister, who has persuaded BBC radio to do a 30 minute biographical programme about my father who was one the pioneers of computing at Manchester university in the 1950s. Cool, eh? So if there is any one out there with anecdotes or the like, get in touch.

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

you are so funny - could have been a stand up comedian if the doctor thing didn't turn out - eh? I bet my lens is longer than your lens. No really. Last year I bought a really fancy one $$$. The manual is only on line as it is over 300 pages long. Has only a few buttons that in specific combinations can unlock professional photographer results. The problem is, I have a hard time remembering the combination to the lock on my locker in the changing room. I think I may be able to beat your repulsive ear wax photo. I took a photo of my "back door" to show the doctor just where exactly is itches. The photo came out so well that I would love to use it as my facebook profile picture - wouldn't that be a riot!