22 September 2008

Big boys' drugs

My appointments with my speech therapist appear soon to be coming to an end – because, to my surprise, the therapy has worked. I admit that when the therapist asked me during my first appointment with her what I expected to get out of the treatment, I told her that my expectations were very low and that I predicted she would have a problem getting me to do the exercises she prescribed. Her answer then was both startling and honest: she would have no problem at all, but I might have one. Out of the mouthes of babes and therapists, eh? Somewhat uncharacteristically, I took this to heart, and with a wife nagging in the background have in fact been reasonably good (though far from perfect) about doing my exercises.

The basic principle seems almost too simple to be taken seriously: first make patient aware that speech is to low and unclear, then get patient to correct the problem through practicepracticepractice … For me, that has meant various collections of long words and short sentences to be practiced regularly, and recently also the use of a sound-level meter (a relic of my former life) which gives my scientist’s soul the satisfaction of being able to see in clear numbers whether I am speaking at an easily audible level. I’m not saying that I am now a model of clarity at all times as I still regularly forget to speak loudly enough, but the difference is that I now know exactly what to do when asked to repeat myself – and that I am able to do it. When I started the therapy, I could barely get through a dozen loud words before my throat went rough and sore, whereas now I can easily do 50 or more. Progress indeed, and I take back much of what I arrogantly thought of speech therapy before.

As I have mentioned before, we have also been playing with my medicine dosages, particularly reducing my intake of Sifrol (a dopamine agonist) in the quest to regain my mental capacities. The result is – predictably – serious physical deterioration but at least with moderate success on the cognitive front. Apparently dopamine agonists regularly have these adverse effects involving hallucinations, sleep disturbance, mood alterations etc., so I am in large, if not particularly healthy, company.

As the dosage has been reduced, I have gotten twitchier and twitchier, stiffer and stiffer, more and more prone to freezing in place. This is no fun at all, let me assure you. It takes enormous effort to get a movement started, and once I’ve got going it is hard to stop so it is not long before I run out of space. The last week or so I have regularly become trapped in corners, inside T-shirts, and somehow ended up turtle-style on the floor when all I meant to do was pick up my shoes. Shoes in themselves are another area of frustration as I now find it almost impossible to get shoes and socks on, and equally difficult to force my feet into the leg holes of knickers and trousers. Do you know how demoralising it feels to have to sit there like some useless lump while your wife helps you into your underwear? Very bloody demoralising indeed, is the short answer.

This obviously cannot go on, the way it is wrecking the quality of life of both myself and #2. I had hoped to wait a little longer before going on levodopa both because it feels too soon for such a fairly drastic step, and because many (but not all) experts suggest it is better to wait as long as possible – the idea being that there is a finite “window” of treatment when levodopa works well, after which severe side effects normally set in. On the other hand, I could also get run over by a bus, attacked by killer bees, or develop the lung cancer I so richly deserve after being a two-pack-a-day man for decades. And then what would have been the point of postponing levodopa and suffering through more of this current misery? So this morning, the decision was taken to switch me to levodopa (Sinemet) right away. Marie and I are both pinning our hopes on this giving me real boost – watch this space!

1 comment:

eddie spaghetti said...

once my husband gets going - he too, can't stop. Now all my freshly painted walls need a touch up at hip to shoulder level across the entire apartment. Ha! getting run over by a bus would be the easy way out.